ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Sat Jun 18 04:09:53 UTC 2011

On Jun 17, 2011, at 4:25 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> On Jun 17, 2011, at 7:13 PM, David Conrad wrote:
>> Why do you think there is an ASO?
> To coordinate numberspace issues between the IANA and the RIRs.

I believe the original intent was that the various SOs would provide their input on how policies impacted their particular areas.  Sort of like why the various IETF areas meet at the same meeting.

> Oh, there is tremendous inter-relation. However, making a mess and then punting it
> to the ASO is an entirely different matter.

You have an odd view of what a 'liaison' does. I was suggesting ASO AC members could provide information to the NANOG community since it would seem at least some participants in NANOG were unaware of ICANN's activities and were unpleasantly surprised.

> It doesn't cost anything to participate in PPML.

It doesn't cost anything (well, monetarily -- expense to sanity may be high, but that is the same as with PPML in my experience) to participate in ICANN meetings.

Regards,
-drc