ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

brunner at nic-naa.net brunner at nic-naa.net
Sat Jun 18 00:51:19 UTC 2011

howdy all from a cold room 100km north of the equator.

> That's an *amazingly* oblique and de minimis reference to the topic on
> point, couched in Eric's usually opaque language ...

i'm reading this from the meeting room where the generic names supporting
organization council is meeting (saturday is gnso policy day), in what i've
heard is disneyland with a death penalty.

two things i think "of note" have occured in the past week+:

1. the deparment of commerce summarized (first round!) notice and comment
period (see the apa or ask an admin practitioner near you or read fox, a
worthwhile activity in its own right -- google "+fox +administrative-law")
on the iana function contract, and

2. the department of justice responded to the department of commerce request
for guidance on competition policy issues and the icann board resolution of
november last to end structural separation in the competitive market
created through the competitive registrar testbed in 2000.

i read each as notice from the usg that the drift, or direction, depending
on one's point of view, of a 501(c)(3) to which rule making may have been
delegated, is subject to correction.

so did anyone have a question or is my epistolary stylistic genius sufficient
as topic of general interest?

-e