ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Jun 18 02:40:22 UTC 2011

---- Original Message -----
> From: "Owen DeLong" <owen at delong.com>

> That won't stop them from building zone files that look like this:
>

> @ IN SOA ...
> NS ...
> A ...
> AAAA ...
> www A ...
> AAAA ...
>
> Sure, they'll advertise www.apple, but, you better believe that
> they'll take whatever lands at http://apple and you can certainly
> count on the fact that any mal-actors that get control of one of
> these TLDs (whether they paid the $185k or not) will take full
> advantage of the situation and its security risks.

Not necessarily, Owen.  Remember: Since we're *in the TLD space* now,
you can't capture the unmodified domain *without adding records to the
root*:

apple.com and www.apple.com are in the same zone file
apple. and www.apple. are *not* -- and the root operators may throw
their hands up in the air if anyone asks them to have anything in their
zone except glue -- rightly, I think; it's not a degree of complexity
that's compatible with the required stability of the root zone.

Especially since the root zone actually lives in 14 different places.

No, anything that requires the root zone to be fluid[1] is going to cause even
more fundamental engineering problems than I've been positing so far tonight.

Cheers,
-- jra
[1]requiring updates in anything smaller than days.  How often does the
root zone actually change; anyone got a pointer to stats on that?