ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Sat Jun 18 02:18:44 UTC 2011

In a message written on Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 08:25:28PM -0500, Jimmy Hess wrote:
> Perhaps we could get an update to the relevant RFCs..  clarifying that
> only NS records may be dotless in the root namespace?
>
> As in --  No  hostnames A, MX, or CNAME  at the TLD level.

I suspect some are already eyeing competitive advantage here.  After
all, if the root can return your A (MX, CNAME, TXT, RP, whatever)
you are guaranteed one DNS query to resolve your name, one RTT to
a DNS server, etc.  Given the roots are well distributed, with
several massively anycasted.....

Shaving a DNS lookup or two every now and then is key to some peoples
business models.