unqualified domains, was ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Jun 18 01:47:47 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "John Levine" <johnl at iecc.com>

> >The notion of a single-component FQDN would be quite a breakage for
> >the basic concept of using both FQDNs and Unqualified names.
>
> Well, you know, there's a guy whose email address has been n at ai for
> many years. People have varying amounts of success sending him mail.

My Zimbra UI says it "might be invalid"; the default postfix config inside
it tries to send it to n at ai.baylink.com, and complains because the domain
won't resolve.

If I'm reading 3.2.4 of 2822 properly (that notation is one I'm not
entirely familiar with, and should be), that really is a valid 2822
address, as odd as it sounds.

Clearly, it's semantics are unexpected, though.  I guess I should go hang
a bug on it.

Cheers,
-- jra