So... is it time to do IPv6 day monthy yet?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sat Jun 18 01:11:15 UTC 2011

In message <BANLkTi=DGwuN_9xnBzq-ukdKxeYnuQ16Bw at mail.gmail.com>, Michael Dillon writes:
> > The last v6day was an isoc effort, there can be a separate nanog effort or
> > your own.
>
> It does make a lot of sense for NANOG (perhaps jointly with RIPE and
> other NOGs) to organize monthly IPv6 days with a theme or focus for
> each month. If you have a focus, then you can recruit a lot of IPv6
> testers to try out certain things on IPv6 day and get a more thorough
> test and more feedback
>
> Skip July and August because it takes time to get this organized, and
> then start the next one on September the 8th or thereabouts.
>
> For instance, one month could focus on full IPv6 DNS support, but
> maybe not right away. A nice easy start would be to deal with IPv6
> peering and weird paths that result from tunnels. That is the kind of
> thing that would work good with a lot of testers participating and an
> application that traces IPv4 and IPv6 paths and measures hop count,
> latency, packet loss.
>
> In conjunction with the monthly IPv6 day, NANOG should set up a blog
> page or similar to publicly collect incident reports and solutions.

I really don't know why anyone is worried about advertising AAAA
records for authoritative nameservers.  It just works.  Recursive
nameservers have been dealing with authoritative nameservers having
IPv6 addresses for well over a decade now.  This includes dealing
with them being unreachable.

DNS/UDP is not like HTTP/TCP.  You don't have connect timeouts to
worry about.  Recursive nameservers have much shorter timeouts as
they need to deal with IPv4 nameservers not being reachable.  They
also have to do all this re-trying within 3 or so seconds or else
the stub clients will have timed out.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC