IPv6 BGP communities

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Jun 17 23:52:23 UTC 2011

In a message written on Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 06:08:13AM -0700, Serge Vautour wrote:
> I'm looking at re-writing our IPv4 BGP policies for IPv6. Does anyone see a
> problem with re-using the same BGP community values? If we use AS:110 for LP 110
> under IPv4, can I just use AS:110 for LP 110 under IPv6? Technically it works -
> at least I haven't seen a problem in my initial tests. It sure would make
> everything easier than assigning new values. Is there a BCP for this?

Some of us run BGP implementations that allow us to process IPv4
and IPv6 routes in the exact same route policy.

On behalf of that group I urge you to use the same communities where
the meaning is in fact the same, because if you don't you'll double
the work for that group when they have to write separate route
policy.