ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Jun 17 22:09:26 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Benson Schliesser" <bensons at queuefull.net>

> On a related topic, the US DoJ recently wrote a letter suggesting that
> DNS registry/registrar vertical integration might not be a good idea
> (from an anti-trust perspective).
>
> http://www.icann.org/en/correspondence/strickling-to-dengate-thrush-16jun11-en.pdf

Y'know, I thought I'd covered that point in my DNS NOI comments (now, lo,
14 years old:

http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/1997-07/msg00156.html

but as it turns out, I had apparently confused "registrar" and "registry" --
not as mortal a sin then as it would be now -- so I can't actually point to
an answer to that question.

I do *have* an answer: yes; separating them is a good idea.  I appeared to
have the opposite answer in those comments; I was miscalling a registry
a registrar, which is why it looked like that.

Cheers,
-- jra