ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

Zaid Ali zaid at zaidali.com
Fri Jun 17 21:53:54 UTC 2011

On Jun 17, 2011, at 2:44 PM, Paul Graydon wrote:

>>> In fact I did.  I certainly haven't seen it mentioned on NANOG in the last 6
>>> months or so; where should I have seen it?
>> New TLDs have been discussed now for over a decade.  Press (both technical and popular) on ICANN activities have ratcheted up significantly recently, particularly with the approval of .XXX (which was recently discussed here on NANOG: http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2011-March/034488.html). Not blaming/accusing, just surprised this would be a surprise. I guess I've been living in the layer9 cloud too long....
>>
>> Regards,
>> -drc
> I've seen the stuff about adding a few extra TLDs, like XXX.  I haven't seen any references until now of them considering doing it on a commercial basis.   I don't mind new TLDs, but company ones are crazy and going to lead to a confusing and messy internet.
>
> Paul

There has been a lot of work put into this. I suggest you start looking at the application guide book http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/dag-en.htm

If folks have been debating about this for 10 years then you can be assured the concerns of a messy internet have been brought up.

Don't tell me folks will have an existential moment about IDN's and gTLD.

Zaid