ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Jun 17 21:33:50 UTC 2011

On Jun 17, 2011, at 11:23 AM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
>>> http://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/06/17/202245/
>> You just learned about this now?
> In fact I did.  I certainly haven't seen it mentioned on NANOG in the last 6
> months or so; where should I have seen it?

New TLDs have been discussed now for over a decade.  Press (both technical and popular) on ICANN activities have ratcheted up significantly recently, particularly with the approval of .XXX (which was recently discussed here on NANOG: http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2011-March/034488.html). Not blaming/accusing, just surprised this would be a surprise. I guess I've been living in the layer9 cloud too long....

Regards,
-drc