good geographic for servers reaching the South East Asia market

Janne Snabb snabb at epipe.com
Thu Jun 16 13:21:11 UTC 2011

Hello from Cambodia. I am familiar with the situation in Cambodia
and some surrounding countries.

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011, Michael DeMan wrote:

> Basically looking for tips on what cities/countries/locations
> have as much (mostly submarine cabling in this case?) fiber
> connectivity and redundancy.  From there I can trim down where to
> begin looking specifically at data centers and colocation options.

Hong Kong, Singapore (and Taiwan).

Hong Kong is the best choice for some countries in the region:
countries such as Cambodia and Vietnam have their uplinks mostly
through Hong Kong.

Singapore is the best choice for others: Thailand, Malaysia and
Indonesia have good connectivity to Singapore.

Taiwan I would place as the 3rd option.

No other realistic options exist in the region beyond that... US
west coast is often the best option if you are not prepared to spend
a lot of money (but check your upstream's peering with major SEA
providers first).

> Also, if anybody offhand has any tips on political stability
> and/or the risk of some kind of unwanted censorship by a given
> country, that would be helpful as well.

All countries within the region are unsafe when it comes to censorship.
Hong Kong is probably the only nearby place which does not openly
practice censorship currently, but I would not count on that as
it is just a (autonomous) province of China.

--
Janne Snabb / EPIPE Communications
snabb at epipe.com - http://epipe.com/