The stupidity of trying to "fix" DHCPv6

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Tue Jun 14 22:44:22 UTC 2011

On 15 jun 2011, at 0:05, Owen DeLong wrote:

> Yes, the right solution would be to at least separate the VLANs and clean up this
> mess. However, due to software packages that need to talk to each other over
> common local broadcast across that boundary, this isn't possible in this particular
> organization (don't get me started on the bad software, but, that's what there is.)

Strange that you don't apply the logic of "the existing software is what there is" to the code deep inside hundreds of millions of hosts, but rather to obscure stuff that presumably hardly anyone uses.

If changing this software is so hard, what these people need is some filtering switches so the application multicasts get forwarded but the IP provisioning multicasts don't. No standards action required.

BTW, does this broken software run over IPv6, anyway?