The stupidity of trying to "fix" DHCPv6

Ben Jencks ben at bjencks.net
Tue Jun 14 18:00:35 UTC 2011

On Jun 14, 2011, at 1:41 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> Then use RA and move on. However, please understand that yours
> is not the only environment and that there are real-world scenarios
> where having the router-guys dictate the host configuration is considered
> unacceptable at best.

This has always confused me. What aspect of host configuration is the router providing that's so problematic? The prefix, which has to match on the router and host in order for anything to work anyway? The indication to go use DHCPv6, which doesn't really add anything since you need to configure a DHCPv6 proxy anyway? There's just so little information in an RA, and the router needs to know it all anyway, that I'm having trouble understanding what environment would find this so horrifying.

-Ben