The stupidity of trying to "fix" DHCPv6

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jun 14 17:36:39 UTC 2011

On Jun 14, 2011, at 9:18 AM, Nick Hilliard wrote:

> On 14/06/2011 17:02, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> That was kind of my point. You are unlikely to encounter such a large L2 domain outside of an
>> exchange point.
>
> Indeed so.  Apart from large enterprise LANs.  And campus LANs.  And badly designed large service provider LANs.  And other types of large L2 domains.  But apart from those exceptions, you'll never see large L2 domains outside of an IXP.
>
> Nick

Even on large enterprise LANS, campus LANs, and badly designed large service provider LANs,
you don't tend to have the kind of perversely large L2 environment that is present at AMSIX.

Also, as was pointed out, they have a rather unique situation of stale peering sessions continuously
banging away at ND and ARP.

Owen