Yup; the Internet is screwed up.

Don Gould don at bowenvale.co.nz
Tue Jun 14 06:59:41 UTC 2011

* 2.5GPON isn't symmetric.
* DSL and cable can be symmetric.
* Business reasons - providers don't want you hosting content at home,
they want you hosting content in their data centers so they can charge
for that space.  So when a provider gets a 100/100 from a telco, it uses
90/10 dl to feed it's tails and 10/90 to push content back to the net of
its server array.

--
Don Gould
31 Acheson Ave