Question about migrating to IPv6 with multiple upstreams.

Randy Carpenter rcarpen at network1.net
Tue Jun 14 00:59:12 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> The vastly better option is to obtain a prefix and ASN from ARIN and
> merely trade BGP with your
> upstream providers.

This is precisely what we are doing on the main network. We just want to keep the general browsing traffic separated.

> Prefix translation comes with all the same disabilities that are
> present when you do this in IPv4.
>
> In IPv4, everyone's software expects you to have a broken network
> (NAT) and there is lots of extra
> code in all of the applications to work around this.
>
> In iPv6, it is not unlikely that this code will eventually get
> removed and you will then have a high
> level of application problems in your "prefix-translated"
> environment.

I am hoping that this will eventually become a moot point for this particular installation, but as it is, the cable modem is $50/month for 15 Mb/s, and adding 15 Mb/s to the main network would cost around $3,000/month. It is really hard to justify.

If we could BGP via the cable modem, that would be great, but they won't allow it :)

-Randy