ip 6 questions

Tom Hill tom at ninjabadger.net
Sun Jun 12 20:31:16 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-06-12 at 14:46 -0400, Deric Kwok wrote:
> We will apply ipv6 from ARIN and try to use it in hosting business
>
> 1/ Can we use it in our current AS which is using ipv4? If not. Do we
> have to apply new AS?

No, you can route IPv6 & IPv4 from the same ASN.

> 2/ Can arin not allow us to apply ipv4 for the future after we apply ipv6?

If you need IPv4, apply for it. You might have a *better* chance if you
already have a plan to implement IPv6, than if you have not considered
it.

> 3/ Any advices to do ipv6 in hosting business

Software. Plesk barely has IPv6 support (>10.2) and I'm yet to hear
about it from CPanel.

Furthermore connection tracking in RHEL/CentOS 5 is totally broken for
IPv6 if you're using it for IPv4 also...

But mostly: you just have to dive in and see what works/what doesn't.
Just don't test it on your live servers!

Tom