Yup; the Internet is screwed up.

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Sun Jun 12 19:48:00 UTC 2011

Once upon a time, Eugeniu Patrascu <eugen at imacandi.net> said:
> I need 100Mbs at home because I want to see a streamed movie NOW, not
> in a month because someone considers broadband a luxury :)
> Pretty simple usage scenario I might say.

The top profile for Blu-Ray is 36 megabits per second, and that is
not used on most titles.  Over-the-air HDTV is 19 megabits or less.
Cable HD channels are often only 12-15 megabits per second.  OTA and
cable HD is typically MPEG2, and MPEG4 can reach similar quality in half
the bandwidth, which means TV quality HD can be 6-10 megabits per
second.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>