Yup; the Internet is screwed up.

Matthew Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Sun Jun 12 17:33:07 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 11:04:46AM -0600, Christopher J. Pilkington wrote:
> On Jun 11, 2011, at 7:07 PM, Roy wrote:
>
> > On 6/11/2011 4:29 PM, Christopher Pilkington wrote:
> >> Options seem to be limited to HughesNet and dial for the moment, but
> >> things may change if I put a tower on the property. HughesNet seems to
> >> relax it's bandwidth cap between 2am and 7am, which is helpful, but
> >> still a great shift from what I'm used to at the current residence
> >> (15/2).
> >>

> > No 3G cellphone service?
>
> 3G at this location is marginal at best (stand on a hill and hold the
> phone up above your head.)
>
> That said, are there 3G radios that permit external antennas or are well
> suited to being sealed up in a weatherproof box and being placed on a
> pole/tower?

The little USB stick I just retired in favour of tethering (Huawei U160(?);
I can dig up the model number if it's important) has a tiny antenna
connection port.  I've seen people on the train with a small flat antenna
hooked up to these sorts of devices; I'd assume that there are big-ass
antennas that are much more efficient and more suitable for permanent
mounting somewhere useful.

- Matt