Yup; the Internet is screwed up.

Mark Radabaugh mark at amplex.net
Sun Jun 12 17:21:56 UTC 2011

On 6/12/11 1:04 PM, Christopher J. Pilkington wrote:
> On Jun 11, 2011, at 7:07 PM, Roy wrote:
>
>> On 6/11/2011 4:29 PM, Christopher Pilkington wrote:
>>> Options seem to be limited to HughesNet and dial for the moment, but
>>> things may change if I put a tower on the property. HughesNet seems to
>>> relax it's bandwidth cap between 2am and 7am, which is helpful, but
>>> still a great shift from what I'm used to at the current residence
>>> (15/2).
>>>
>> No 3G cellphone service?
> 3G at this location is marginal at best (stand on a hill and hold the phone up above your head.)
>
> That said, are there 3G radios that permit external antennas or are well suited to being sealed up in a weatherproof box and being placed on a pole/tower?
>
> 3G would get us around the 200-300MiB/day issue, but I'm fairly certain I'll be dealing with similar monthly caps.  I can really hope for a wISP nearby, but so far my research hasn't turned up anything.  Is there some wISP marketplace/directory about?
>
> The final option would be to unofficially put hardware on the roof of my office 50km away with some high-gain antennas, but the path is marginally LOS, I think I might need a very large tower at either end.
>
> -cjp
www.wispa.org is probably the largest organization.    Every state in
the US has a broadband mapping project that should be able to tell you
who is in the area and what options you have (assuming that you are in
the US which might not be true).

If there are no other providers around (or they don't do a good job)
it's not that hard to build your own.   It doesn't take a very large
population density to make a viable business.   Just don't try to build
a wISP with 802.11x equipment.

A properly built wISP network competes quite well with HFC networks in
speed and reliability.   The technology is evolving quickly with
capacity and reliability making significant gains.

--
Mark Radabaugh
Amplex

mark at amplex.net  419.837.5015