Yup; the Internet is screwed up.

Christopher J. Pilkington cjp at 0x1.net
Sun Jun 12 17:04:46 UTC 2011

On Jun 11, 2011, at 7:07 PM, Roy wrote:

> On 6/11/2011 4:29 PM, Christopher Pilkington wrote:
>> Options seem to be limited to HughesNet and dial for the moment, but
>> things may change if I put a tower on the property. HughesNet seems to
>> relax it's bandwidth cap between 2am and 7am, which is helpful, but
>> still a great shift from what I'm used to at the current residence
>> (15/2).
>>

> No 3G cellphone service?

3G at this location is marginal at best (stand on a hill and hold the phone up above your head.)

That said, are there 3G radios that permit external antennas or are well suited to being sealed up in a weatherproof box and being placed on a pole/tower?

3G would get us around the 200-300MiB/day issue, but I'm fairly certain I'll be dealing with similar monthly caps.  I can really hope for a wISP nearby, but so far my research hasn't turned up anything.  Is there some wISP marketplace/directory about?

The final option would be to unofficially put hardware on the roof of my office 50km away with some high-gain antennas, but the path is marginally LOS, I think I might need a very large tower at either end.

-cjp