IPv6 and DNS

Matthew Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Sun Jun 12 15:44:02 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 08:59:50AM -0500, Jimmy Hess wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 9:04 PM, Matthew Palmer <mpalmer at hezmatt.org> wrote:
> > The router isn't assigning an address, it's merely telling everyone on the
> > segment what the local prefix and default route is.  As such, there's no
> > reason why the router should try to register a DNS entry.
>
> However, it would be logical to extend the DHCPv6 protocol to allow for
> registration of the workstation address in DNS by the DHCPv6 management
> server  to be requested (similar to DHCPv4).

I don't believe we were talking about DHCPv6, we were talking about SLAAC.
And I *still* think it's a better idea for the client to be registering
itself in DNS; the host knows what domain(s) it should be part of, and hence
which names refer to itself and should be updated with it's new address.

- Matt