IPv6 and DNS

Fabio Mendes fabio.mendes at bsd.com.br
Sun Jun 12 12:38:32 UTC 2011

2011/6/11 Matthew Palmer <mpalmer at hezmatt.org>

> The router isn't assigning an address, it's merely telling everyone on the
> segment what the local prefix and default route is.  As such, there's no
> reason why the router should try to register a DNS entry.
>
> On the other hand, the host could (and should) register it's address with
> whatever DNS server handles it's name.  The protocol for such is already
> standardised and should be independent of IPv4/IPv6.
>
> - Matt

Thanks Matt.

I was thinking about something like this, it looks the natural way to go,
but isn't too dangerous allow hosts to update entries (even if it's their
own)  in an DNS server ?

I preferred to believe that a router would do this because routers are
considered to be more reliable than a hosts. In the other hand, I also
recognize that this could put a lot of weight in routers' CPU processing.

Do you mind to point me out where can I find infos about this protocol that
is being standardised ?

Fábio