Yup; the Internet is screwed up.

Don Gould don at bowenvale.co.nz
Sun Jun 12 09:09:21 UTC 2011

On 12/06/2011 1:02 p.m., Owen DeLong wrote:
>>> On Jun 11, 2011, at 15:16, Jeroen van Aart<jeroen at mompl.net>  wrote:
>> Randy Bush wrote:
>>> some of us try to get work done from home.  and anyone who has worked
>>> and/or lived in a first world country thinks american 'broadband' speeds
>>> are a joke, even for a home network.

>> I understand, but I was referring to the average home internet connection. But even for work 100Mbps seems a bit overkill for most purposes. Whole offices work fine with a "mere" bonded T1 at 10Mbps. Admitted it's symmetrical and is more stable. But regarding speed it's quite a bit slower than the mentioned 100Mbps home internet.

> Depends on the office and the user profile at home.  I would be very unhappy and so would my coworkers behind a bonded T1 at 10 Mbps.  However, I do admit I think my 70 Mbps at home will probably be adequate for a few years to come.

Some may find this of interest:  http://home.bowenvale.co.nz/wp/apps.gif

and this...

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1515155 (Is there an
NBN Killer App? - Australians talking about what they might use the FTTH
for).

With respect to home v's office, 100 v's 10...

Applications such as back up may not even be attempted online in an
office, which is why 10mbit is fine.

As I said earlier, BIR is what 100mbit is about.

In an office you have computers on for 8 hours a day.  With QoS you can
push data out in a controlled way.  For example, when you send a 10mb
email, it transfers to the office mail server 'instantly' and is then
streamed out at what ever speed the QoS is letting port 25 run at.

At home when you send 10mb it goes direct to the ISPs SMTP server and
saturates the uplink while that's happening or QoS slows it down and the
customer has to wait while their computer 'sends' the message.

BIR is also about user experience.  We know that when we give users a
better experience they stay longer.

See:  http://home.bowenvale.co.nz/wp/sam where Sam Morgan talks about
making sure that TradeMe.co.nz is fast so that users will stick about
and use it more.

At work you have limited choice.  If it's slow, but you have to use it,
then you will.  Where as at home if it's slow, you'll give up and go
read a book.

Also at home we're more likely to make massive volumes of content, for
example a simple photo shoot with your kid on your new digital camera
can chew up 1gb in minutes (my 10mpx camera uses 1gb --> 220 shots which
I can shoot off at a birthday party without even trying).

How often do businesses produce that volume of content?