IPv6 and DNS

Fabio Mendes fabio.mendes at bsd.com.br
Sun Jun 12 01:30:26 UTC 2011

Hi guys,

Firstly, sorry if this may sound too newbie for the list. Reading the
discussion about dhcpv6 vs RAs, this question just popped in my mind.

It seems that most of IPv6 addressing for hosts will be choosed using EUI-64
method. Considering that no one (specially endusers) will bother to memorize
an IPv6 prefix plus a mac address, integration between DNS servers and
routers/dhcpv6 servers will be crucial.

For dhcp there is already a mechanism for updating names in the DNS server
for dynamically assigned IPs. I suppose it will be used (use some
modifications) for IPv6.

However, I never heard of anything similar for routers (in the case of
autoconfigured addresses).

Are there any dns servers that support updates from routers ?