Yup; the Internet is screwed up.

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Jun 12 01:13:41 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Valdis Kletnieks" <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu>

> (Biggest single issue? Probably that some companies got really big incentives a
> number of years ago to deploy broadband, and were allowed to pocket the money
> without actually deploying. Will take quite a bit to reverse *that*
> fiasco...)

Also remember there are a lot of moves afoot to *make it illegal* for cities
and other municipalities to deploy last-mile fiber, as we discussed a couple
weeks ago.  Who's responsible for most of that?

Verizon.

Can you spell FiOS?

My assertion's been that they need it to save them from 30 years of "cut to
clear", but someone with some insider knowledge told me once that it at
least isn't that *everywhere*...

Cheers,
-- jra