Yup; the Internet is screwed up.

TR Shaw tshaw at oitc.com
Sat Jun 11 22:59:15 UTC 2011

On Jun 11, 2011, at 6:37 PM, Jeroen van Aart wrote:

> Eugen Leitl wrote:
>> It definitely reduces need for moving human bodies in metal boxes
>> back and forth, and reduces road wear and carbon dioxide emissions.
>
> I think a world of telecommuting employees is a utopia that will not be reached in my lifetime. Most companies have proven to be unwilling to make it a reality, exceptions just confirm the rule. Fiber to the premises or whatever broadband solution one may implement will not change that much.
>
> Until the human factor changes...

I'm not sure where this thread is going but rural america and rural canada are rolling their own broadband connectivity in places.

I just helped a friend in NW Ont (in the bush) to mesh all his neighbors (the term neighbors is a stretch due to distance) together with the wireless mesh connected all the way back to where a cabin had LOS view to a canopy POP.

I know of similar grass roots wireless mesh system in the farmlands of mid america. Its very big in the Caribbean also.

As there become more folks around to help and kids learn networking so that they can help deploy in their communities, I expect that this will occur more and more unless carriers fill the void which I doubt.

If major carriers want eyeballs then they are missing out rolling out cheap wireless mesh systems. Their problem I guess is lack of huge return and even more lack of physical control over the mesh nodes.

Tom