The stupidity of trying to "fix" DHCPv6

Blake Dunlap ikiris at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 16:08:05 UTC 2011

I'm sorry, but IPv4 DHCP was a wonderful solution to many issues, which are
very very difficult in IPv6. RA is a solution looking for an actual problem.
That being said, I like having the option of RA, but it is only useful in a
very small subset of use cases, many it actually causes issues, instead of
solving them.

Not all devices are client computers, and it is *MUCH* harder to build
scripting to determine what config options are specific to a network for a
portable device like a SIP phone, than to simply add the options into DHCP.

As it stands, IPv6 is a complete non starter to about half of my customer's
VLANs due to the above.

The best comment I've seen goes something like this: "We don't run RIP w/ a
default route on our routers now for a reason, why do you suddenly think now
it's a good idea, and willfully/ignorantly ignore the past 15 years"

-Blake