Yup; the Internet is screwed up.

Steven Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Sat Jun 11 14:59:20 UTC 2011

On Jun 11, 2011, at 5:34 10AM, Jeroen van Aart wrote:

> Ricardo Ferreira wrote:
>> Funny, how in the title refers to the Internet globally when the article is
>> specific about the USA.
>> I live in europe and we have at home 100Mbps . Mid sized city of 500k
>> people. Some ISPs even spread WiFi across town so that subscribers can have
>> internet access outside their homes.
>
> Though it's nice to have why would one *need* 100 Mbps at home? I understand the necessity of internet access and agree everyone has a right to it. But that necessity can be perfectly fulfilled with a stable internet connection of a reasonable speed (say low to mid range DSL speed tops).

When I was in grad school, the director of the computer center (remember
those) felt that there was no need for 1200 bps modems -- 300 bps was
fine, since no one could read the scrolling output any faster than that
anyway.

Right now, I'm running an rsync job to back up my laptop's hard drive to my
office.  I hope it finishes before I leave today for Denver.