Yup; the Internet is screwed up.

Don Gould don at bowenvale.co.nz
Sat Jun 11 10:05:26 UTC 2011

On 11/06/2011 9:34 p.m., Jeroen van Aart wrote:
> I don't regard simultaneously streaming 6 channels of TV and downloading
> the latest movie torrent in 2 minutes as a basic necessity, let alone
> essential.

100/40 isn't about 6 channels of TV and even less about torrents.

It's about BIR not CIR.

It's about dropping my HD video recorder, with 2 hours of random video
recorded at todays 'family birthday party', on its 'hot shoe' and it
just dumps 40gb to my back up server in the 10 minutes it takes me make
a cup of coffee and check my blog.

10 minutes later I expect the transfer to be done, and I'll then put the
camera (which was also charged in that time) back in the bag and away in
the draw.

Because I'm using CrashPlan, my back up server is actually some free
space on my PC at work and also my mum's computer at her home (in
another city) - not a cloud provider because I can't (choose not to)
trust.  (note I'm sending the back up to 2 sites at the same time)

I don't want that transfer to saturate my link, but at the same time my
wife is grabing a copy of the video her sister made of the same event
and her brother is dropping a copy of his video on my computer (also as
a CrashPlan[1] back up) from his house.

My son has just flicked on his TV, has chosen a movie from iTunes and is
downloading it flat out to his AppleTV[2] STB.

The phone goes, it's my Dad just catching up... well actually he's
Skypeing[3] me and wants a bit of help with a web site he's working on
so orders up remote desktop (which uses ~4mbit if the capacity is there).

Mean time my wife has flicked on our TV and chosen a film that we want
to watch and that's also streaming in to our AppleTV STB.

For about 30 minutes we'll be maxing out our 100/40, but I fully agree
with any suggestion that with a bit of planning we really don't need
more than 5mbits...

But if you want to talk about planning...

When my mother was a kid, my grandmother would get meat at the butcher
each day.  When I was a kid my mother would get meat out of the freezer
in the morning.  I grab what I need 10 minutes before I use it and put
it in the microwave to defrost.

Do we need this technology?  The microwave gave me my first job in sales
but today you just buy them at the supermarket.

100/40 will drive homes to use more of their spare hard disk space using
crash plan or some other software that does the same thing.

It will drive people to buy, use and back up their HD cameras.

It will drive people buy STB's like AppleTV etc in numbers.  Not just
one in the family room.

All these new gadgets will drive the need for much more home networking
technology.

It's why we need more 1's and 0's to move.

[1][2][3] - I don't represent any of these companies, but I have been
looking at these products specifically with UFB in mind because they are
popular/functional and slurp 1's and 0's like a V12 and gas.