Yup; the Internet is screwed up.

Blake Dunlap ikiris at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 05:39:20 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 21:11, Joly MacFie <joly at punkcast.com> wrote:

> I had dual ISDN from nynex in the 90s. 128k woohoo! It cost me $500+/mth.

I still have 128k ISDN in one site in rural TN, and it's the POP for my
WISP! I'd spring for a whopping 256k, but I can't justify the cost. Been
running on my remaining stack of P75s for years, still have about 30 left
for the lightning to kill.

When it rains, it drops, and fails to a 56k modem that trains at about 19k.
Just try and get the RBOC Bell (the new SBC *sigh*) to fix that. Oh and it
also drops randomly, finally got me an X10 appliance module and stuck it on
the router, and rigged up some nagios scripting. Nothing so reliable as an
auto-rebooting router.

It's the only option besides Satelite, which isn't really an option, or
maybe a gold plated (price) T1 due to the distance.

Squid makes it almost tolerable, until someone needs their windows
updates...

-Blake