The stupidity of trying to "fix" DHCPv6

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 02:21:05 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 7:03 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> And like I said before, we have more pressing things to do than tinker some more with DHCPv6.
>
> Meh... We can achieve a big win for relatively low cost very quickly and make IPv6 much
> more palatable to a wide audience of enterprise administrators. I can't really say that there's
> much more pressing than that. Yes, the issues you described above also fit into that category,
> so, I'd say this is about equal.

Right.

Please, everyone - this is not just an "IPv4 way of thinking".  This
is different types of networks and network users.

Just because your experience and your network don't have anything
affected by these issues with DHCPv6 / RA doesn't mean that others
don't.

IPv6 adoption is driven by exhaustion, but it's limited by glitches like this.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com