Yup; the Internet is screwed up.

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Sat Jun 11 01:59:26 UTC 2011

On 6/10/2011 7:43 PM, Jeroen van Aart wrote:
> I wonder, what's wrong with dialup through ISDN? You get speed that is
> about the same as low end broadband I'd say. And I think it'd be
> available at these locations where DSL is not.

Well, it "was" available.  I had one ~15 years ago, and a Cisco 801 to
boot.  There was a big build-out in some areas, the small-town local
Bell (not yet Borg'ed into the conglomerate) went all digital (well,
"digital" at the time) on their new nnx CO.  Still recall the Northern
Telecom "network interface" boxes on the sides of houses.

Closer to the city, it was "order and wait" as you had to be crossed
over or patched to the nearest ISDN CO.  They weren't "wholesale" digital.

Most of that has converted over to DSL.  But ISDN is still available (we
have some video conferencing gear that uses bonded ISDN).

Jeff