Yup; the Internet is screwed up.

TR Shaw tshaw at oitc.com
Sat Jun 11 00:00:37 UTC 2011

On Jun 10, 2011, at 7:43 PM, Jeroen van Aart wrote:

> Jay Ashworth wrote:
>> Even Cracked realizes this:
>>  http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-internet-access-in-america-disaster
>> That can't be good.
>
> <ignorant?>
>
> "up to 10 percent of the country can't even get basic broadband"
>
> I think I saw much larger numbers a few years ago when I read some hype stories about how broadband access in the USA sucks. I am positively surprised the gap has narrowed that much.
>
> I wonder, what's wrong with dialup through ISDN? You get speed that is about the same as low end broadband I'd say. And I think it'd be available at these locations where DSL is not.
>
> To quote http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadband_Internet_access#ISDN
>
> "A basic rate ISDN line (known as ISDN-BRI) is an ISDN line with 2 data "bearer" channels (DS0 - 64 kbit/s each). Using ISDN terminal adapters (erroneously called modems), it is possible to bond together 2 or more separate ISDN-BRI lines to reach bandwidths of 256 kbit/s or more. The ISDN channel bonding technology has been used for video conference applications and broadband data transmission."
>
> My low end home DSL connection has similar bandwidth.
> With regards to the writer's main gripe, if your telecommute work typically consists of ssh sessions and email then even y'olde dialup will do just fine.
>
> </ignorant?>

Try ordering one.  If I wanted one here I couldn't order one today. Years ago I had a bonded BRI serving my first server and and it took 3 months to get it working.  I am not sure central offices have that capability any more.  There was also a distance constraint from the CO (kinda like the distance issue from the DSLAM demark)

I have a fishing cabin out in the middle of nowhere and I get broadband via a small ISP that serves via Canopy coresiding on 300 ft cell towers.  This provides 1-20Mbps service even when the cell towers only provide Edge

Tom