Yup; the Internet is screwed up.

Jeroen van Aart jeroen at mompl.net
Fri Jun 10 23:43:39 UTC 2011

Jay Ashworth wrote:
> Even Cracked realizes this:
>
>   http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-internet-access-in-america-disaster
>
> That can't be good.

<ignorant?>

"up to 10 percent of the country can't even get basic broadband"

I think I saw much larger numbers a few years ago when I read some hype
stories about how broadband access in the USA sucks. I am positively
surprised the gap has narrowed that much.

I wonder, what's wrong with dialup through ISDN? You get speed that is
about the same as low end broadband I'd say. And I think it'd be
available at these locations where DSL is not.

To quote http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadband_Internet_access#ISDN

"A basic rate ISDN line (known as ISDN-BRI) is an ISDN line with 2 data
"bearer" channels (DS0 - 64 kbit/s each). Using ISDN terminal adapters
(erroneously called modems), it is possible to bond together 2 or more
separate ISDN-BRI lines to reach bandwidths of 256 kbit/s or more. The
ISDN channel bonding technology has been used for video conference
applications and broadband data transmission."

My low end home DSL connection has similar bandwidth.
With regards to the writer's main gripe, if your telecommute work
typically consists of ssh sessions and email then even y'olde dialup
will do just fine.

</ignorant?>

--
http://goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/