The stupidity of trying to "fix" DHCPv6

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Jun 10 20:38:42 UTC 2011

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 13:27:58 PDT, Leo Bicknell said:
> The funny thing is, no one does this anymore.  We turned off RIP,
> turned off routed, and invented things like HSRP to handle router
> redundancy.  These things weren't done because someone was bored,
> no, they were done because these RIP deployments failed, repeatedly
> and often.  Any device could broadcast bad information, and they
> did.  It could be a legitimate network admin plugging a cable into
> the wrong jack, or it could be a hacker who rooted a machine and
> is injecting bad information on purpose.

Has senility set in, or wasn't there even an incident where somebody advertised
127/8 via RIP - and lots of nodes *believed* it, even though they should have
realized that they had an interface on that network already?

(And yes, I know of *multiple* failures of broadcasting a default route and
getting swamped as a result - this one was 127/8 specifically)...