The stupidity of trying to "fix" DHCPv6

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Fri Jun 10 16:33:28 UTC 2011

On 6/10/2011 11:22 AM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:

> On Jun 10, 2011, at 7:34 AM, Ray Soucy wrote:
>

>> I for one look forward to the day where things like RA Guard and MLD
>> Snooping are standard on every switch.  Just IPv6 growing pains.
>

> I look forward to the day where "layer 2" switches don't need to implement hacks to fix "layer 3" flaws.
>
> Matthew Kaufman

We already have that. Run everything as a point to point for layer 2,
and there's no need to implement hacks. :P

Granted, RA Guard could also be handled transparent to the layer 2
switches, but that requires a common security model to inform the
devices who they are allowed to listen to.

MLD Snooping is just a problem of the switch being too stupid to know
which ports to send multicast out. It's technically not required if
there's a layer 2 protocol to inform the switch, but those are in
limited supply.

Both issues often suffer heavily from multi-vendor interoperability
problems.

Jack