The stupidity of trying to "fix" DHCPv6

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Fri Jun 10 15:32:49 UTC 2011

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> In a message written on Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 09:37:11AM -0400, Ray Soucy wrote:
>> You really didn't just write an entire post saying that RA is bad
>> because if a moron of a network engineer plugs an incorrectly
>> configured device into a production network it may cause problems, did
>> you?
>
> No, I posed the easiest way to recreate this issue.
>
> I've seen the entire NANOG and IETF lans taken out because some
> dork enabled microsoft connecting sharing to their cell card.
>
> I've seen entire corporate networks taken out because someone ran
> the patch cable to the wrong port.
>
> The point is, RA's are operationally fragile and DHCP is operationally
> robust.  You can choose to stick your head in the sand about that
> if you want, but it's still true.

I don't see, why do you claim that DHCP is more robust, than SLAAC.
I have seen half day outage due to broken/misbehaving  DHCP server....

I agree with Wiliam Herrin: have both SLAAC and DHCPv6 as an option. Give
me both ways....And probably I will use both...

Janos Mohacsi
Head of HBONE+ project
Network Engineer, Deputy Director of Network Planning and Projects
NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY
Key 70EF9882: DEC2 C685 1ED4 C95A 145F  4300 6F64 7B00 70EF 9882