The stupidity of trying to "fix" DHCPv6

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jun 10 15:22:31 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> Only sort of... This only works if you don't want to auto-configure things like DNS,
> NTP, etc.
>
> I would like to see both protocols made optionally complete, so, in addition
> to fixing DHCPv6 by adding routing information options, I'd also like to
> see something done where it would be possible to add at least DNS
> servers to RA.

The RA's aren't really supposed to be for configuring applications.
DNS and NTP are applications in the IPv4 and IPv6 paradigms, not core
protocol functions.

Another approach to the problem would be defining anycast addresses
(in the IPv4 sense of anycast) defined as "nearest DNS resolver" and
"nearest NTP server." You then make a request directed to that anycast
address to discover the unicast addresses of the servers you should be
using.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004