The stupidity of trying to "fix" DHCPv6

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jun 10 14:53:36 UTC 2011

On Jun 10, 2011, at 7:47 AM, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> In a message written on Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 10:34:57AM -0400, Ray Soucy wrote:
>> Also agree that I want flexibility to use RA or DHCPv6; the
>> disagreement is that RA needs to be removed or changed from IPv6.
>> Don't go breaking my IPv6 stack for your own ambitions, please.
>
> I want that flexability as well, but the IETF won't deliver.
>
> The two options delivered so far are:
>
> RA's only.

Only sort of... This only works if you don't want to auto-configure things like DNS,
NTP, etc.

I would like to see both protocols made optionally complete, so, in addition
to fixing DHCPv6 by adding routing information options, I'd also like to
see something done where it would be possible to add at least DNS
servers to RA.