Yup; the Internet is screwed up.

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Jun 10 13:47:46 UTC 2011

Once upon a time, Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net> said:
> On Jun 9, 2011, at 8:43 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> > Even Cracked realizes this:
> >
> >  http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-internet-access-in-america-disaster
>
> I would describe this as "local market failure".  It's common even in highly populated areas, not just rural ones here in the US.

I'd go so far as to say "user failure".  If I wanted cable TV
(especially if I needed it at home as part of my job), I wouldn't
buy/rent/lease/whatever a home without checking that cable TV is
available at that location.  I live in a city with two cable providers,
each of which covers the "whole" city, yet there are pockets where one
(or even both) don't provide service.

Before I bought my house, I made sure I could get my preferred Internet
service at my house.

There are definately things wrong with the state of last-mile Internet
access in the US, but moving somewhere without checking is IMHO your own
fault.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>