The stupidity of trying to "fix" DHCPv6

Tim Franklin tim at pelican.org
Fri Jun 10 12:48:21 UTC 2011

> Standing back a little, I can see an argument that IPv6 would be an
> easier 'sell' if there were two modes of operation, one with only
> RAs, and one with only DHCPv6.

This +1.

There are plenty of enterprises, employing actual network engineers (allegedly), who are just about getting to grips with CIDR and VLSM.  They are *thinking* about reconfiguring their hosts to stop having 10.x.x.x/8 as the interface address, and letting proxy-arp on the routers worry about which subnets are which.  They *might* have been convinced that an ATM cloud (or sometimes even MPLS!) has robust traffic separation, and they don't need a full mesh of leased lines any more.

IPv6 is hugely scary as it is, without breaking their "hosts and host info" / "routers and routing info" silo model.  Not all of the networking world runs on Internet time :(

Regards,
Tim.