IPv6 routing protocols

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Fri Jun 10 10:20:54 UTC 2011

On 10/06/2011 11:03, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> As far as I know only BGP but BGP runs over TCP so it's different from
> all other routing protocols.

OSPF runs over protocol ospf, so it's also different from the other routing
protocols.  EIGRP uses protocol 88 and ISIS runs over CLNS so both of them
must be different too.

On the other hand, RIP runs on UDP, so I guess that it must be the same as
all the other routing protocols.

(sorry, but I'm lost as to what point you were making here :-)

> And it still carries link local next hop
> addresses.

it's a bit more subtle than that - it depends on how the underlying router
operating system handles next-hop resolution and how you configure your BGP.

Nick