Cogent IPv6

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Thu Jun 9 14:02:06 UTC 2011

On 6/9/2011 1:58 AM, Aftab Siddiqui wrote:
> Still that doesn't give any reason to provide /112 for point to point
> connectivitiy. Seriously, I'm peering with a transit provider with /126 and
> when I asked for a reason they said, ease of management. How come Subnetting
> /32 to /126 is ease of management??.... thats quite difficult to understand.
> This debate is there fore quite a long time but everytime it pops up I
> feel so uncomfortable with this granular subnetting.

Some networks prefer a uniform numbering scheme. /112 allows for
reasonable addressing needs on a circuit. In addition, while Ethernet is
often used in a point-to-point access circuit, such layouts may change
and renumbering would be annoying.

Finally, having chunks 4-7 define the circuit and chunk 8 provide the
circuit addressing makes it more human readable and is prone to less
mistakes by those who suck at math.

Jack