Cogent & HE

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jun 9 13:37:05 UTC 2011

On Jun 9, 2011, at 2:06 AM, Jeroen Massar wrote:

> On 2011-Jun-09 10:39, Saku Ytti wrote:
>> On (2011-06-09 00:55 -0700), Owen DeLong wrote:
>>
>>> To be an IPv6 TIer 1, one has to peer with other IPv6 Tier 1s. HE has
>>> aggressively tried to improve the situation through promiscuous peering
>>> in every way possible. If you are interested in peering with HE and
>>> you have a presence at any of the exchange points we are at, send
>>> an email to peering at HE.NET and we will peer.
>>
>> I look forward for IPv4 to go away, as in future I can have full free
>> connectivity through HE to every other shop who all have full free connectivity
>> to HE. Something went terribly wrong in IPv4 land, where we're being unfairly
>> forced to pay to access other networks through them.
>
> You could, today, setup a IPv6 over IPv4 tunnel and HE will pay for the
> IPv4 transit at the cost of a little smaller lower MTU ;)
>
> Just need to find folks on the other side to terminate those tunnels who
> find also that using a free service is a good idea for a commercial
> setup. I guess all this free IPv6 transit has a perfect SLA of course
> with quick resolution for problems and of course a proper clean prefix
> feed with properly aggregated prefixes.

I was an HE Tunnel users long before I joined the company. In my experience,
our free tunnel service is quite reliable and provides excellent connectivity.
HE has been happily exchanging BGP and routing my /48 for several
years. The high quality of this service and the quick resolution to my
(very few) problems even on a free service is one of the things that attracted
me to join the company.

However, for those that want production-grade business-class tunnels,
we have launched a paid tunnel service as well.

Owen