Cogent & HE

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Thu Jun 9 09:03:03 UTC 2011

Composed on a virtual keyboard, please forgive typos.

On Jun 9, 2011, at 17:39, Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi> wrote:
> On (2011-06-09 00:55 -0700), Owen DeLong wrote:
>
>> To be an IPv6 TIer 1, one has to peer with other IPv6 Tier 1s. HE has
>> aggressively tried to improve the situation through promiscuous peering
>> in every way possible. If you are interested in peering with HE and
>> you have a presence at any of the exchange points we are at, send
>> an email to peering at HE.NET and we will peer.
>
> I look forward for IPv4 to go away, as in future I can have full free
> connectivity through HE to every other shop who all have full free connectivity
> to HE. Something went terribly wrong in IPv4 land, where we're being unfairly
> forced to pay to access other networks through them.

Non sequitor.

Even though HE gives away free transit now, Owen said nothing about free transit.

As for free peering, LOTS of networks freely peer and make money, including my current employer.  (Actually, I think more open peering networks make money than closed peering networks. :-)

--
TTFN,
patrick