Microsoft's participation in World IPv6 day

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Wed Jun 8 14:53:02 UTC 2011

On 6/8/2011 12:42 AM, Christopher Palmer wrote:
> I'm not an ISP - but I absolutely expect that IPv6 roll-outs have
> long time-horizons and are fairly complex. So I hope folks are
> looking at IPv6 NOW, and not simply waiting for
> Google/Bing/Yahoo/Interwebz to enable permanent content access and
> organizational justification.

To be fair, I think any ISP worth it's salt is working on IPv6 access
roll-outs, but there are a lot of considerations. A content provider
generally doesn't want to hurt their own connectivity and service
quality, which is why using IPv6 on the main sites has generally been
frowned upon. An ISP has to deal with customers when these problems
arise and actually absorbs the costs of dealing with them. As such, it's
not unreasonable for many ISPs to delay rollouts to all customers.

It's my honest belief that we have natural progression. The peering
arrangements are getting sorted out, IPv6 pathing is slowly reaching par
with IPv4 pathing in the largest networks. Content providers are testing
and verifying service levels with dual stack. Access networks are
deploying IPv6 up to the edge and in some cases releasing it to the
customers. ARIN is fixing their policies.

It could be better, but I think everyone is on the right track.

Jack