Microsoft's participation in World IPv6 day

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jun 8 13:30:55 UTC 2011

On Jun 8, 2011, at 6:09 AM, Cameron Byrne wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 6:04 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

>>> cough cough NAT64/DNS64 ...
>>
>> Doesn't solve the problem unless your users are all on cell-phone browsers
>> that don't do a lot of the things most users do with real internet connections.
>>

> Most of my users are on cell phone browsers :)
>
> Furthermore, i can choose which ones get ipv4-only NAT44 and which get
> ipv6-only + NAT64
>
> Now, only if there was major cell phone OEM support ....
>

> Also, i would like to extend the idea that as IPv6 becomes dominant in
> the next few years (pending access networks), the need for IPv4 access
> will wane and LSN for the IPv4 will become more acceptable as IPv4 is
> just the long tail.

Agreed... However, where I differ is that I believe it is content and services
which will drive the ability for IPv4 to be considered long tail. If all of the
content and services were IPv6-capable today, the need for LSN would
be very near zero (limited to the consumer devices that need to be
upgraded/replaced to understand IPv6.)

However, as it stands currently, a consumer would not consider an IPv6
connection with NAT64 or other LSN to be equivalent to what they expect
today (unless they're on a cell-phone where they already expect the
internet experience to be completely degraded).

Owen