Hotmail?

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Jun 8 11:18:49 UTC 2011

Martin Hepworth <maxsec at gmail.com> wrote:

> Have a look at the Hermes mail system at cam.Ac.uk, built buy among
> people Philip Hazel of exam fame

Philip did not in fact have much to do with Hermes other than writing
Exim. (I think he might have had a hand in early versions of our user
administration scripts...)

Our webmail software "Prayer" was written by David Carter. It's basically
Pine for the web - it uses the UW-IMAP c-client library. We handle about
30K active / 5K concurrent users on one webmail server and it isn't
breaking a sweat.

David also did a lot of customization to Cyrus, mainly replication and
undelete. These features are part of the standard Cyrus distribution now,
and they hve been significantly improved by the guys at Fastmail.fm.

I wrote a description of our setup several years ago. The architecture is
still basically the same, though storage volumes are up by a few binary
orders of magnitude.
http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~fanf2/hermes/doc/talks/2004-02-ukuug/

Tony.
East Malin, East Hebrides: Variable 4, becoming westerly then southwesterly 5
to 7. Moderate or rough. Squally showers. Moderate or good.