Microsoft's participation in World IPv6 day

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jun 8 07:13:25 UTC 2011

On Jun 7, 2011, at 10:42 PM, Christopher Palmer wrote:

> The title of this ongoing thread is giving me heart palpitations.
>
> Content access over IPv6 may help "justify" ISPs investing in IPv6, but it in no means is a prerequisite technically.
>
> LSNs are "fine" when deployed in parallel with IPv6 IMHO. There has to be a pathway to "good" networking.

How many of them are you planning on maintaining? May I quote you on this after you've been doing so for
a year and received 2 or three lovely FISA subpoenas for your LSN logs?

> To Lorenzo's point - I really think the next big hurdle in the transition is getting access numbers to something respectable. World IPv6 Day has only be going for a few hours, but things seem to be going fine, and it's our hope (currently) to keep www.xbox.com available over IPv6 indefinitely. I expect other participants will keep IPv6 enabled for some or all of their respective portfolios.

I agree with Lorenzo to a point, but...

Access will happen in due time by virtue of IPv4 runout. If content is available dual-stack ahead of that,
it dramatically reduces the need for (and load on) LSN. If it is not, then, LSN is going to be a much much
uglier situation to an extent that it might even have a catch-22 effect on IPv6 deployment in the
eyeball networks.

> This leads me to worry that in 6-18 months we'll be in a position where a lot of major content has permanently transitioned, and we're still at <1% access range. That will be awkward.

Not really.

> I'm not an ISP - but I absolutely expect that IPv6 roll-outs have long time-horizons and are fairly complex. So I hope folks are looking at IPv6 NOW, and not simply waiting for Google/Bing/Yahoo/Interwebz to enable permanent content access and organizational justification.

I don't think any of them are really waiting for that. However, I do think getting to that point is actually more
critical at this juncture than getting the eyeball networks fully deployed.

Owen